To apply my finance, strategy and operations experience toward implementing and scaling a transportation marketplace. Deep and rapid market-penetration, achieved through significant and sustained cost-reduction, will expand access to transportation for everyone.
Feb 20 – Mar 20
Senator Amy Klobuchar’s Presidential Campaign Field Organizer
Las Vegas, NV and Raleigh, NC
- Joined the field team right after the senior United States senator’s good debate performance and primary result in New Hampshire;
- Employed event-build strategies using web-based outreach tools to maximize attendance at the Senator’s campaign rallies;
- Engaged prospective supporters via persuasion and GOTV calls, prior to the Nevada caucuses and North Carolina primary;
- Managed volunteers who canvassed door-to-door.
Nov 19 – Present
City of Berkeley’s Transportation Commission Member
- Contribute to the work of the City and its representatives by helping to make our streets safer, healthier, and more equitable, in a climate-friendly manner;
- Explore and suggest ways to leverage the human and community-minded impulses we all share, to reduce traffic volumes.
Jan 05 – Present
RBLOCK INC. Founder & CEO
- Studied the well-established research on our increasing disconnectedness in the United States and the resulting economic and social costs incurred;
- Conceived and developed rBlock to reverse this trend by attracting an experienced team of investors, directors, developers, and advisors; raised six rounds of equity and convertible debt capital from eleven friends and family investors;
- Managed four software product development teams, developed intellectual property assets (patents, trademarks, domain names) and continuously evolved rBlock’s vision, business model and product strategy through a market-driven approach;
- Built three consumer web platforms that improved how residents solve local problems, consume goods & services, and get around town; each new platform capitalized on the insights and addressed the shortcomings of the previous one;
- Negotiated and closed a design, usage and distribution partnership with the City of Palo Alto; the City’s website has links related to the important work of our City-rBlock Partnership;
- Established a data sharing partnership with Tom Tom N.V. enabling a zero-cost license to one of their data sets.
Jun 00 – Feb 03
SHAKTI VENTURES General Partner
New York, NY and Berkeley, CA
- Helped capitalize a fund management company in order to accelerate the time-to-market of future U.S. portfolio companies via Indian outsourcing services;
- Invested $125K of the $1.75M raised, hired CTO to develop and manage the “outsourcing enabler”, and sourced prospective investments for the future fund;
- Returned over 75% of the capital raised to the management company cofounders after we secured commitments but fell short of raising a $100 million fund.
Nov 98 – May 00
VH ADVISORS Founding Principal
- Provided strategic advisory, valuation and capital raising services primarily to early-stage companies in the technology, ecommerce and services sectors.
- Completed 20 assignments, most of them over 18 months, including four successful private financings.
May 94 – Oct 97
BEAR STEARNS Associate, Corp. Finance
New York, NY
- Processed a wide range of public-market transactions in the media & entertainment group with a primary focus on diversified entertainment, cable and publishing companies.
- Managed the maintenance of comparable company and transaction analyses by the financial analysts in our group.
- Wrote business plan and launched marketing effort for Firm’s India Emerging Markets Group.
Jun 93 – May 94
AGE WAVE Director, New Business Development
- Joined this research, marketing services, and custom publishing company focused on the mature market to help the CEO evolve its business model and build a larger balance sheet.
- Developed and presented equity-in-lieu-of-cash proposals for smaller clients to transform how the Company was compensated for its marketing services.
- Researched new business development ideas to attract venture capital participation and advised CEO on investor & board communications.
Sep 89 – Dec 90
HOUSING DEVELOPMENT FINANCE CORPORATION Research Officer
- Researched and analyzed existing financing policies and products with a view to developing more sophisticated approaches to financing HDFC’s growth.
- Co-wrote and presented a case study on HDFC’s contribution to India’s housing sector at a 60-nation international conference in Washington, D.C.
Jun 86 – Jun 89
DREXEL BURNHAM LAMBERT REALTY Asst. Vice President
- Participated in bringing corporate finance analytical techniques to the evaluation of real estate investments.
- Helped co-manage a $25 million foreign real estate investment fund, identified US investment opportunities, and evaluated the fund’s performance;
- Supervised management of limited partnership assets created out of the 1986 Tax Reform Act, and helped to refinance these assets.
Highly proficient in market valuation and financial forecasting. Also proficient in the strategic, managerial and operational aspects of running a software company, and have hands-on experience across the full product life-cycle. Project-based skills include:
- conducting rigorous research and analysis
- understanding requirements and constraints
- creating financial models and running sensitivity analyses;
- defining timelines and resources; aligning them with tactics and checkpoints;
- collaborating on writing and presenting plans; winning support for them.
- Atlassian’s JIRA OnDemand
- developing leadership, management and execution capabilities
- learning by doing, setting examples, sharing information, supporting teams
- unit economic models (unit based)
- discounted cash flow (cash flow based)
- comparable companies (comparables based)
- asset-based (book value based)
- Axure RP Pro 5.5
- Power Point
Fluent in Spanish; former director and acting treasurer of A Better Way in Berkeley; member and block captain of a safe neighborhoods organization for last 10 years; proud husband and father who also enjoys being a community observer, public transportation rider, cycling commuter, tennis player and recreational cook.
Available upon request.