To apply my finance, strategy and operations experience, ideally by joining a transportation-related organization. I am passionate about expanding access to transportation by both reducing cost and increasing choice.
Jan 05 – Present
RBLOCK INC. Founder & CEO
- Studied the well-established research on our increasing disconnectedness in the United States and the resulting economic and social costs incurred;
- Conceived and developed rBlock to reverse this trend by attracting an experienced team of investors, directors, developers, and advisors; raised six rounds of equity and convertible debt capital from eleven friends and family investors;
- Managed software product development teams, developed intellectual property assets (patents, trademarks, domain names) and continuously evolved rBlock’s vision, business model and product strategy through a market-driven approach;
- Built four consumer web platforms that improved how residents solve local problems, consume goods & services, and get around town; each new platform capitalized on the insights and addressed the shortcomings of the previous one;
- Negotiated and closed a design, usage and distribution partnership with the City of Palo Alto; the City’s website has links related to the important work of our City-rBlock Partnership;
- Established a data sharing partnership with Tom Tom N.V. enabling a zero-cost license to one of their data sets.
Jun 00 – Feb 03
SHAKTI VENTURES General Partner
New York, NY and Berkeley, CA
- Helped capitalize a fund management company in order to accelerate the time-to-market of future U.S. portfolio companies via Indian outsourcing services;
- Invested $125K of the $1.75M raised, hired CTO to develop and manage the “outsourcing enabler”, and sourced prospective investments for the future fund;
- Returned over 75% of the capital raised to the management company cofounders after we secured commitments but fell short of raising a $100 million fund.
Nov 98 – May 00
VH ADVISORS Founding Principal
- Provided strategic advisory, valuation and capital raising services primarily to early-stage companies in the technology, ecommerce and services sectors.
- Completed 20 assignments, most of them over 18 months, including four successful private financings.
May 94 – Oct 97
BEAR STEARNS Associate, Corp. Finance
New York, NY
- Processed a wide range of public-market transactions in the media & entertainment group with a primary focus on diversified entertainment, cable and publishing companies.
- Managed the maintenance of comparable company and transaction analyses by the financial analysts in our group.
- Wrote business plan and launched marketing effort for Firm’s India Emerging Markets Group.
Jun 93 – May 94
AGE WAVE Director, New Business Development
- Joined this research, marketing services, and custom publishing company focused on the mature market to help the CEO evolve its business model and build a larger balance sheet.
- Developed and presented equity-in-lieu-of-cash proposals for smaller clients to transform how the Company was compensated for its marketing services.
- Researched new business development ideas to attract venture capital participation and advised CEO on investor & board communications.
Sep 89 – Dec 90
HOUSING DEVELOPMENT FINANCE CORPORATION Research Officer
- Researched and analyzed existing financing policies and products with a view to developing more sophisticated approaches to financing HDFC’s growth.
- Co-wrote and presented a case study on HDFC’s contribution to India’s housing sector at a 60-nation international conference in Washington, D.C.
Jun 86 – Jun 89
DREXEL BURNHAM LAMBERT REALTY Asst. Vice President
- Participated in bringing corporate finance analytical techniques to the evaluation of real estate investments.
- Helped co-manage a $25 million foreign real estate investment fund, identified US investment opportunities, and evaluated the fund’s performance;
- Supervised management of limited partnership assets created out of the 1986 Tax Reform Act, and helped to refinance these assets.
Jan 91 – Oct 92
COLUMBIA BUSINESS SCHOOL
MBA in Finance
Aug 82 – May 86
BA in Economics
Highly proficient in market valuation and financial forecasting. Also highly proficient in the strategic, managerial and operational aspects of running a software company, and have hands-on experience across the full product life-cycle. Project-based skills include:
- conducting rigorous research and analysis, where necessary;
- understanding requirements and constraints
- Defining Goals
- creating financial models and running sensitivity analyses;
- defining timelines and resources; aligning them with tactics and checkpoints;
- collaborating on writing and presenting plans; winning support for them
- Planning Execution
- developing leadership, management and execution capabilities;
- learning by doing, setting examples, sharing information, supporting teams
- Achieving Goals
- unit economic models (unit based);
- discounted cash flow (cashflow based);
- comparable companies (comparables based);
- asset-based (book value based)
- Valuation & Forecasting Methodologies
- Power Point;
- Using MS Office
- Axure RP Pro 5.5;
- Power Point
- Designing & Prototyping Products
- Atlassian’s JIRA OnDemand
- Managing Software Teams
Fluent in Spanish; former director and acting treasurer of A Better Way in Berkeley; member and block captain of a safe neighborhoods organization for last 10 years; proud husband and father who also enjoys being a community observer, public transportation rider, cycling commuter, tennis player and recreational cook.
Available upon request.